Oban

Location and contact details

Location Location: Oban Distillery, Oban, Argyll, PA34 5NH
Web Web: https://www.discovering-distilleries.com/oban/
Telephone Telephone: +44 (0) 1631 572 005
Email Email: Oban.distillery[at]diageo.com
Twitter Twitter: DiscoverDistilleries (@12distilleries)

Facts and figures

Location Oban
Owner Diageo
Founded 1794
Number of stills 1 wash still
1 spirit still

Opening Hours

Opening hours vary through the year; check for details of opening hours. Oban is typically open between 0930-1700, but only afternoons in January to March. Tours run every hour and booking is advised.

Tours

Sensory & Flavour Tour £8

This tour of the process at Oban Distillery includes a sample of Oban malt direct from the cask and a dram of Oban malt with food. Tour price includes a whisky related gift and a voucher for £5 off the purchase of a 70cl single malt.

Exclusive Distillery Tour £40

This tour includes access to the warehouse and a vertical tasting in the Distillery Managers Office.

History

Oban is one of Diageo’s Classic Malts.

Oban distillery (Listeni/ˈoʊbən/ OH-bən; Scottish Gaelic: Taigh-stail an Òbain) is a whisky distillery in the Scottish west coast port of Oban. Established in 1794, it was built before the town of the same name, which sprung up later in the surrounding craggy harbour.

Oban distillery is owned by Diageo. It has only two pot stills, making it one of the smallest in Scotland, producing a whisky that has been described as having a “West Highland” flavour that falls between the dry, smoky style of the Scottish islands and the lighter, sweeter malts of the Highlands.

The distillery was built in 1794 by the brothers John and Hugh Stevenson and operated by them until 1866, when it was bought by Peter Curnstie. It was then acquired by Walter Higgin in 1883 and rebuilt. In 1898, Alexander Edward, who also owned Aultmore Distillery, bought out Higgin. In its first year of operation, it suffered major losses when a major blending company, Pattison’s of Leith, went under. In 1923, Oban was sold to Dewars and joined Distillers Company with that company in 1925. It fell silent from 1931 until 1937 and again from 1969 to 1972 when a new still house was built. In 1989 a new visitors’ centre was installed.

Information correct as of 5/6/2016
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Lagavulin Distillery, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *