In 1782, Walter Teeling, established a distillery on Dublin's Marrowbone Lane, in the Liberties area of Dublin, then an epicentre of distilling dubbed the "golden triangle" due to the number of distilleries located in the area. Although now long gone, some of the distilleries in the Liberties area at the time, were very large operations, with George Roe's Thomas Street Distillery likely being the largest distillery in the world at its peak.
Eventually, the Teeling Distillery was purchased by a larger neighbouring operation, William Jameson & Co., which was also based on Marrowbone Street. However, William Jameson's distillery, run by relatives of the more famous John Jameson, later closed in 1923, having like many Irish distilleries, encountered serious financial difficulties in the early 20th century.
In 1987, John Teeling, a descendant of Walter Teeling purchased a facility in Cooley, Co. Louth which had previously been set up by the Irish Free State Government to produce industrial alcohol from potatoes. Teeling converted this plant to a whiskey distillery, reopening it in 1989 as Cooley Distillery. The distillery was the first new distillery to launch in Ireland following the consolidatons and closures of the 20th century.
Teeling's sons, Jack and Stephen worked with their father at the Cooley Distillery before it was sold to Beam Inc. (now Beam Suntory) in 2011. As part of the sale, the Teelings negotiated the purchase of 16,000 casks of aged whiskey. Using these stocks, Jack Teeling launched Teeling Whiskey in 2012, and was later joined in the venture by his brother Stephen.
In 2015, the Teelings established a new whiskey distillery in Market Square in Dublin, not far from the location of the original Teeling Distillery on Marrowbone Lane. The distillery, which includes a visitor centre, now employs some 55 staff, and exports to 44 countries. Construction of the distillery was the subject of a four-part TV3 documentary, "Whiskey Business", which first aired in 2015.